Thursday, March 27, 2014

Farflung RPG ‘March Madness’ Blogwalk Days 26 and 27




I realize that by calling this blog challenge ‘Non-D&D’ I am conversely attesting to what a huge footprint that game has left on the hobby. It is close to being a proprietary eponym like “Let’s Google it.” “Let’s D&D” is understood to mean roleplaying, and does not always mean TSR’s game.

Therefore I think for the last week of this challenge I won’t be acknowledging D&D in the title. Once again, I don’t hate D&D, I just would rather give the nod to other great games without constantly harkening back to Gary’s game.

Anyway, on with the show!

Other blogs can be found HERE. It is over a dozen now, so I am pretty happy with that.

The questions can be found HERE. They’ve proven not to be perfect, but they are stimulating some good discussions and sharing of experiences.

26 What RPG based on an IP did you enjoy most? Give details.

For official products, I’d have to say my old first love Stormbringer was the most fun I had with an IP product. The wonky chargen, the deadly combat, the demon summoning just screamed Elric to me, and was a welcome relief from the intricate spells and level grinding of Gary’s game. Second runner up would be The Watchmen sourcebook for the DC RPG. Although I never got to play it, it was one finely crafted product, and any fan of the comics would be proud to have it on their shelf. It has even inspired me to write a Watchmen scenario explaining why the Keene Act was proposed, one that I hope to put on this blog someday.


Although it is not an official, licensed Walking Dead product, I’d have to give mention to Kreg Mosier’s The Dead again. Whereas DC was not a great fit for the gritty world of Watchmen, The Dead nails its subject matter in terms of fear and character interaction. Grab it if you haven’t already.

27 What IP (=Intellectual Property, be it book, movie or comic) that doesn’t have an RPG deserves it? Why?

Wow, tough question. I think just about all of my itches have been scratched – Stormbringer, Star Wars, TMNT, Watchmen, Robotech, Firefly, and The Dead allow me to play in the gameworlds that are most alive to me because of their sources. I suppose the only IP missing would be Kentaro Miura’s Berserk, a great dark fantasy manga series about Gotts, a maimed swordsman who goes about slaying demons let loose in the world by his old comrade-at-arms, Griffith, while trying also to save his lover, warrior-woman Casca, whose mind was savaged in the same mass demon summoning that destroyed Gotts’ right eye and left hand.


Berserk has spawned some PS games, an anime series, and a recent series of gorgeously animated movies. Some people are turned off by the preamble part of the story when Gotts is traveling with Griffith and Casca before the summoning, but stick with it and the intricate art, amazeballs fantasy action, and philosophic meanderings pay off in spades. Dark Horse apparently does an English version, but the Japanese original is at the same time amazingly well-written but done in an archaic style that fits the genre but requires some work to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment